Saturday, January 07, 2006

Oops...Got busy

All I can say is....Oops , I got busy and forgot to write in my blog. I will do my best to get an entry or two up this weekend.

The wife, Dough-Girl, and I have been working on entertaining the family for New Year day, and working to take down and organize our Christmas decorations.

For New Years day, I made a 'Whiskey and cola glazed ham'. I used a recipe I found on foodnetwork.com from Chef Emeril Lagasse.

Fresh Baked Ham with Whisky and Cola Glaze
1 (8 lb) fresh ham (shank and leg of pork)
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of Essence (recipe follows)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
whole cloves
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup whisky
4 cups cola drink

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
With a sharp knife, puncture and score the skion of the ham, making parallel 1/2 inch deep cuts. Turn the ham and score again to make a grid like pattern.

In a small bowl combine the salt Essence, pepper, and cayenne. Rub evenly all over the ham. Place the ham fatty side up, in a large roasting pan. Place 1 clove where the lines intersect on the ham. rub the sugar evenly over the ham, pressing to pack. Pour 2 cups of cola into the bottom of the roating pan and bake for 1 hour. In a container, combine the whisly and the remaining 2 cups of cola.

Baste the ham with the whiskey and cola and continue to bake, basting every 15 minutes with the whisky and cola mixture and pan juices, until the ham is cooked through, the skin is crisp and dark, and a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F, 2 - 2.5 hours.

Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.


The ham is so good, that I didn't get a chance to take pictures before they were attacked by the family. I make scalloped potatoes to go along with it, but I cheated and used the Betty Crocker, cook in 20 minute kind. LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home