Saturday, January 14, 2006

Comfort food

Chili and tamales. Mmm, comfort food for a cold and snowy weekend. This ain't no Tapas restaraunt food (see biscuit girl's blog - http://yougonnaeatallthat.blogspot.com/ ). :)

Pictures WILL BE posted this time. Just give me till tomorrow night to cook everything and take the pics.

Boot Scootin' Chili - A packaged mix we bought at a yardsale in our neighborhood. It looked interesting and since I've not found a recipe that I like 100%, I'll just have to keep trying as many as I can find. You soak (or cook) the beans till just tender. Meanwhile, cook up 2 lbs of beef, pork , chicken, sausage, deer, or what ever you want to put in your chili till it's browned. Then add the packet of seasonings (looked like chili powder, paprika, dried minced onion, dried garlic, and maybe a pinch of cayene). stir it around a little and then add the beans and a little of the liquid from the beans. That's pretty much it. I added a large can og crushed tomoatoes, and a small can of tomotoe paste as well as dark red kidney beans and more chili powder and a few extra pinches of cayene.

The tamales were pre-made and bought by my other sister, Flour-child. They cost $10 per dozen and are huge. The have mild, hot, and hotter. I was chicken and got the mild. the wife doesn't like really spicy things, so the choice was really made because of her. We've had these talames before on Christmas Eve and boy are they filling. One Tamale and 2 scoops of chili and I was tossing in the towel...I was done... put a fork in me...give me a bucket. They are very tasty, and had a good amount of meat inside them. (yes a pic of them is coming too...jeez, let me cook them first...lol)

With a huge pot of chili and a dozen talames in the freezer...We'll be fumigating the house by the middle of the week. Not really, I plan on freezing some of the chili for later...... OK, it's later, time to thaw it back out.

Also, speaking of comfort food. Flour-Child and I are taking our parents out for breakfast on Sunday. It to celebrate thier 45th wedding anninversary, which is today. We're taking them to Mimi's Cafe (http://mimiscafe.com/ ). I'll post more tomorrow about our experience.

4 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

So that's why I couldn't reach mom and dad this morning. Hope it was yummy.

And I'll ship home some Beano for your tamale dinner.....*vrrp*

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Where are your pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Dough-Boy said...

The chili and tamales al disappeared before hte camera could shap a picture.

I've got to keep a camera in the kitchen. So many times, I make something, and by the time I remember to get a pic, the meal is done. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home